So, apparently, the top song as of right now is "One More Night" by Maroon 5, and honestly, I don't really like the song, the beat is weird, and the "instruments" are not my cup of tea at all, so I detest this song currently. The lyrics are as such. In all honesty, I think this says very little, but so much of American culture and what we idolize. Of course it's another break up/relationship song, because we're lacking that in the music department, (end sarcasm). Our modern culture puts priorities on relationships above all else, and basically, if you don't have a significant other, you're a loser, and you aren't getting the most out of life. And of course, the song involves provocative lyrics, because as we all know, sex sells, so if the song has nothing suggestive in it, it's a flunk. Firstly, we are not the greatest consumers of media, unless you mean we worship all things electronic, then yes, we are, but it's mostly saying that our concerns are focused mainly on ourselves and our personal lives. The gender roles are basically that the guys are oh so sensitive, and they are God's gift to women, while women are just there for enjoyment and company. Success nowadays is strictly measured to money, fame, and power, as it always has been, but the severity is much more higher these generations.
The second top song is varied by website, but I found 2 consistent websites with the consensus that "Gangnam Style" is the second most popular song, I love this song because it's foreign, the beat is catchy, and the dance is stupid, but socially acceptable. The lyrics (translated) are so. I read the lyrics, and I really like them, they say a lot about who this singer is, and what he represents, and I respect him for it. I think it says that American culture enjoys the irregular, and not everyday kind of music, and the techno of course, techno is big for some reason. But since the lyrics are not sung in English, I can't speak for what it reflects on our culture, since maybe few have looked up the translation. But, our modern culture enjoys the electronic sounds, and odd frequencies. This song, translated, is saying that you don't need to demean yourself to be loved, but to be a beautiful person on the inside, and that he is the kind of guy that would enjoy having that kind of girl as his companion. The gender roles are that the girl is head honcho, and he respects her, and loves her because of that.
Hey, I like your analysis and really like your thesis, I think that you argued your point well, but one of the things I might change is constant imagery to another adjective, because it only states the consistency of how often the imagery presents itself throughout the song, not what kind of imagery it is. Maybe an adjective along the lines of admirable because he is painting the woman in a good light and admiring her? Other than that, i thought that your analysis was really good.
ReplyDeleteNicole
Thank you Nicole, I'll definitely put that into consideration :)
Delete